Welcome to the PerlShopTM
Shopping Cart Software Home Page!
NEW! Version 3.2
*** Today's Electronic Commerce News via NewsPage ***
- What is PerlShop?
PerlShop is a cgi shopping cart script written in perl.
- What is a Shopping Cart script?
A shopping cart script is a program that allows customers to place
orders for merchandise, and pay for it, over the internet.
- How much does it cost?
PerlShop is AdverwareTM.
The only requirement to use PerlShop is to display the "powered by
PerlShop" logo (see below) on
the main page of your catalog, with a link back to the PerlShop home page,
and also keep the logo on all PerlShop generated pages. There is no other
- Is the Source Code available?
Yes. PerlShop is distributed as a perl script. A perl interpreter
must be installed on the web server for it to run.
- How easy is it to install?
Simply copy the script to your cgi-bin directory and mark it as
executable, create a few directories and change their permissions, then
just modify the script to customize it for your server address and business
- Does it need a database on the web server?
No. In this version each item in the catalog has to be included
in an html page that exists in a catalog directory on your server. This
allows you to customize each individual page and simplifies updating your
catalog by just uploading the new pages.
- Is it safe?
Yes. The integrity of all transmissions is assured by using digital
signatures. This means that nobody can adulterate any data, or interfere
with another shoppers session. You should also run the script under a userid,
not as the user 'nobody', one way to do this is via cgiwrap.
- Is it secure?
Security of a transmission is only assured if you run it under
a web server that supports encryption, and the client uses a browser that
- Is it fast?
Yes. Because it does not use a database, and because it does not
need to load any tables or libraries when starting up, it is very fast.
- Can I see a Demo?
Sure, just follow this link to the Demonstration
- Where can I get it?
You can download it from here.
- Can I see the Manual?
You can view the manual here.
- Who's Using It?
You can view the growing list of Sites
using PerlShop here!
- Will it work on my system?
PerlShop requires Perl version 5, and will work on both unix and
- What if I need help?
Since PerlShop is free, there is no explicit support provided.
You may send email about any problems, bugs or suggestions to email@example.com,
but a response is not guaranteed. Customization of PerlShop is available
for a fee, just send a request for a price quote.
- What's new in Version 3.1? (see
manual & source code for details & upgrading info)
- Accept Online Credit Card payments via SecureOrder
and payments via First Virtual !!! Shoppers
receive immediate feedback if their payment goes through!
- You can (optionally) enable Cookies to allow Shoppers to leave and
later return to a shopping session.
- Built-in support for using Secure Server (https:) capability for the
- You can now use Server Side Include tags (SSI) on catalog pages.
- Search feature will now search subdirectories, and highlight hits.
- Searches can be logged to see what shoppers want, but that you don't
- All dates are now Year2000 Compliant.
- What other features does it have?
- Comprehensive error checking of customer input.
- Optional logging of page hits and search patterns.
- Order files are created in CSV format (comma separated, quoted fields)
for easy import into a database.
- Built-in search screen for keyword searching of catalog pages. No external
program is needed, and no indexing of catalog pages is needed.
- No 'Cookies' are Needed (but can be optionally enabled). The script
will work with any browser.
- Automatically calculates Sales tax based on customer's location.
- Automatically calculates shipping using a customizable shipping rates
- Will calculate shipping based on price or quantity or weight.
- Validates that credit card numbers and email addresses are in the proper
- Automatically calculates all totals.
- Order confirmation is emailed to customer and to catalog merchant.
- Generates a unique Invoice number for each order.
- Customers do not need to pre-register before ordering items.
- There is no artificial limit on the price of an individual item, nor
on the total order.
- Orders can be modified any time prior to final checkout.
- Extensive comments make customization of the script easy.
- Catalog pages may use any custom design or layout, PerlShop only adds
an optional navigational menu bar, and submit buttons or images to your
- Support for Item options such as: Size, Color, etc.
- Support for Multiple Item Selection forms
- A "stay on page" option after ordering.
- Support for Discounts based on total price or quantity.
- Support for Non-Taxable items.
- Option to use images for submit buttons
- Customizable date and currency formats for International use
- Catalog pages can be server independent
- What Enhancements are planned for the next version?
- Index based catalog searching option.
- Option to use a Server-based Database.
- Frame Support
- FastCGI compatiblity.
You may use either the original logo:
Or the new logo:
(The new logo design is courtesy of Ben Cole: firstname.lastname@example.org)
site is owned by email@example.com.
Page | Skip
Next | List
Next 5 | Random
Want to join the ring? Click here for info
Update: Jan 23, 2000
Copyright ©2000, ARPAnet Corp.
PerlShop, Adverware, What do you want to buy
today?, and the PerlShop logo are trademarks of ARPAnet Corp. All other
trademarks are the property of their respective owners.